Content Of Parenting Education, Behavior-management Approaches, Relationship-enhancement Approaches, The National Model Of Parenting Education
Parenting education may be defined as any deliberate effort to help parents be more effective in caring for children. There are many different processes for educating parents, including group meetings, resource centers, newsletters, radio programs, home visits, mentoring, Internet resources, support groups, and books. The content of these different efforts varies substantially, ranging from behavior-management approaches to relationshipenhancement approaches. What the programs have in common is the conviction that parents play a vital role in the development of children and that it is possible to help parents be more effective through training and education.
Parenting education is conducted in many settings: school, health and religious organizations, and the community. It is conducted by people with different backgrounds including human development, nursing, psychology, social work, and education.
There is a growing awareness in society that many social problems are the result of inadequate parenting education; parents are not automatically equipped to deal with the challenges of childrearing. Moreover, many social changes put additional pressures on families and limit their connections with family members and others. For example, since World War II there have been increased numbers of mothers working outside the home, increased rates of divorce, greater distances from extended family, increased involvement with negative electronic media, and more overloaded family schedules. All of these changes can make the job of parenting more challenging.
- Childhood - Modern Western Conception Of Childhood, Children Within Families
- Childcare - Why Is Childcare Important?, Available Childcare, Effects Of Childcare, Availability, Cost, And Quality Of Childcare
- Parenting Education - Content Of Parenting Education
- Parenting Education - Behavior-management Approaches
- Parenting Education - Relationship-enhancement Approaches
- Parenting Education - The National Model Of Parenting Education
- Parenting Education - Processes Of Parenting Education
- Parenting Education - Cross-cultural Perspective
- Parenting Education - Looking To The Future
- Other Free Encyclopedias